Grammarly is an incredible editing software, however, it has its limitations and isn’t for everyone. Therefore, to adequately help figure out if it is the right one for you, this Grammarly review has been created to answer some of the most common questions people ask:
How much does Grammarly cost and is it really worth it?
Is the free version of Grammarly good enough, and how does it compare to Word’s spelling and grammar checker?
How do you legitimately use Grammarly?
But, let me cut to the chase by saying that I am a fan of Grammarly however, 95% of people should just use the Free version (it’s better than you think). So who are the 5%? We’ll definitely cover that too.
In this Grammarly review, you will learn:
- What is Grammarly and how to best use it
- The difference between Grammarly Free and Grammarly Premium
- A side-by-side comparison of Word, Grammarly Free, & Grammarly Premium in action
- How I use Grammarly in my personal and professional daily tasks
P.S. This article uses affiliate links…I just want to be upfront about that and understand that it does not increase your cost…but if you do use my link, it helps build my coffee fund to help me keep writing. So thanks!
WHAT IS GRAMMARLY?
In its basic form, Grammarly is a spelling and grammar checker that’s like a little robotic editor angel on your shoulder at just about all times. It detects grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice, and style mistakes as you write on just about any site on the web, email, Word documents, social media, or on your own website.
Grammarly has a free version and premium version (which later, we’ll dissect the difference between the two). But suffice it to say, the free version REALLY includes a lot.
Along with providing spelling and grammar assistance across many forms of writing, Grammarly also includes:
- Grammarly Cards (Included in Free) – besides just flagging where it detects issues, it also gives comprehensive explanations of grammar rules and tips for how to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
- Reporting (Included in Free) – like in 8th grade, you can receive a report detailing your accuracy in grammar, spelling, plagiarism, and vocabulary. Instrumental in helping you improve over time.
- Language Preferences (Included in Free) – easily switch between American, British, Canadian, and Australian English dialect by navigating to your profile and changing your language preference.
- Plagiarism Checker (Premium Only) – Grammarly will scour the corners of the internet to cross-check and ensure no plagiarism was conducted. Super powerful feature if you employ ghostwriters, are an academic writer, or you want to ensure your content isn’t stolen.
Vocabulary Enhancement (Premium Only) – helps you to expand your lexicon and write more clearly by suggesting context-optimized alternatives and synonyms for your overused and repetitive words – something I do a lot! Did you notice there were some juicy words in that sentence? Thanks, Grammarly.
HOW TO USE GRAMMARLY: WEB, ONLINE, AND PROGRAMS
This program would have been a pain for me if I had had to open an editor and paste my writing inside of it every time just to get it to work.
However, thank the makers, they made it so that I have lots of options and can enjoy Grammarly’s grammar checking features in just about any platform I work in to include online, social media, inside important programs and more:
- Grammarly Editor (Free): Grammarly has an online editor that allows you to store all your documents, access from any computer that has the internet, and gives you all of the features listed above. You can type within it or upload your documents to it. Personally, I don’t use this much.
- Browser Extension (Free: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge): Reading many of the Facebook posts out there, I wish more people had this! Install the Grammarly extension into your web browser and start getting direct Grammar assistance and recommendations. I’m currently going through my past articles and using this little tool to correct the horrendous errors I put you through. The browser extension automatically checks your comments, blog posts, tweets, Facebook posts, etc. I use this one a lot!
- Grammarly for Microsoft Office PC (Free): For those of you who are in love with Office and use Windows, this is your best bet. Grammarly for Word is not supported on Mac though.
- Grammarly for Your Phone (Free): If you want Grammarly to check all the writing you do on your phone, there’s a keyboard for that! Grammarly Keyboard for iOS or Android will check all your writing through your keyboard even when you’re away from your computer.
- Grammarly for Your Desktop (Free): If you’re lazy like me and have a LOT of documents you want to check quickly, then this is for you. No more copying and pasting your documents into their web editor like the old days. Instead, you can quickly drag and drop files into the Grammarly icon on your desktop and get your works checked at ludicrous speed.
IS GRAMMARLY PREMIUM WORTH IT?
Yes – for any of us who struggle with writing and work in a professional manner, be it an online marketer, blogger, student, etc.
I pay for the premium package because the added benefits are worth it to me. I’m awful at grammar and I like the vocabulary improvement and the better correction capability because of the high visibility of my works. Having an authority website and publishing bestselling books means there are lots of eyes reading (and critiquing) my writing.